02 March 2011

My writing about filesystem in DataCenter Magazine 2/2011 issue

First of all, I thank God for the opportunity and trust He had given to me. Without His bless, I can't complete this article quick enough but still in good quality.

In 2/2011 issue of Data Center Magazine, I contribute an article that discusses about what filesystem really is, understanding several basic properties of filesystems and probably the most important one: how to choose the optimal filesystem for certain workload.

I welcome you to download, read and give me constructive feedback. As I am far from top notch technical writer level, feedback would allow me to enhance the quality and at the same time correct any possible errors.

PS: I owe a lot to Greg Freemyer for his inputs and critics on the early draft. He's one of the best file system expert I ever met!

regards,

Mulyadi Santosa.

3 comments:

Bumiga said...

Very interesting article, but how they can implement their recommendations with LVM volumes?

Sankar P said...

Nice Article. I liked it very much. Thanks a ton.

P.S: For some reason, I thought this article will explain about backingdeviceinfo but it didn't. I wont complain though :-)

Mulyadi Santosa said...

Hi all, thanks for all your replies so far.... my comments are below:

@ Bumiga:
well, LVM change the game a bit in my opinion. LVM will do somekind of device block address translation (think about extent-to-disk sector) and in some case, buffering (when you do snapshotting).

So, in order to get better speed, I think you better use simple fs like ext2 or ext3.

@ Sankar :
You welcome bro! :) Oh about backing device info, that needs further reading in my side...sorry to disappoint you in that matter.

How to execute multiple commands directly as ssh argument?

 Perhaps sometimes you need to do this: ssh user@10.1.2.3 ls It is easy understand the above: run ls after getting into 10.1.2.3 via ssh. Pi...